Ye Olde Newton, of Collingswood, and Nassau, of Camden, NSDAR Chapters were merged by New Jersey State Regent Mrs. Salvatore Cavallaro, assisted by our member, Miss Mary T. Bannan, New Jersey State Vice Regent, at a ceremony on October 16, 1999. The chapter name became Ye Olde Newton-Nassau Chapter and the bylaws were edited. Their respective histories, and that of Vine Irwin Society, Children of the American Revolution are below.
Ye Olde Newton Chapter
Organizing Regent: Mrs. Joseph C. (Christiana P. Owen) Williams
In the region of Haddon Township, which lies between the North and Main branches of Newton Creek, the first permanent established. In March of 1682, English settlers from Dublin, who were members of "The Society of Friends", or Quakers, sailed up the Delaware River on the ship Ye Owner's Adventure to Newton Creek. The early records do not have the name Newton probably because the settlement was really a collection of farms at the time. There is debate as to whether the colonists named Newton Colony for Sir Isaac Newton or if it is from the contraction of "New Town", which is more likely. William Penn had a hand in helping these first colonists settle
part of Camden County. Newton Colony is about a year older than Philadelphia. The creek and township derived their names from
the colony. The local Indians were peaceful and friendly. Soon
each settler had built a home on his own land and before too much
longer the community had a meetinghouse, school, and burial
During the American Revolution, a between present-day Collingswood and Camden along what is now Haddon Avenue. There were a number of casualties on both sides. In one incident, Count Pulaski's horse was shot from under him. As the battle raged, the British found it necessary to forage for supplies in the vicinity of "Ye Olde Newton" and surrounding towns. Eventually, the fighting farmer boys proved too much for them and the British lost the battle. As the years passed, the district grew and developed and the little colonial town was all but forgotten. When our chapter was organized on July 11, 1928, by Mrs. Joseph C. Williams, it was decided to pay homage to that tiny historic village. So our Chapter was named "Ye Olde Newton". Tuesday, July 11, 1928, an organizing lunch was held at Oak Valley Country Club, Woodbury Heights, with State Regent Mrs. William Becker, presiding. There was a disagreement over the name of the Chapter. Mrs. Emma C. Byrnes wanted the chapter named Old Gloucester. Consequently, she organized the Ye Olde Gloucester Chapter on February 23, 1929, in Gloucester City, which eventually disbanded in June of 1959. Organizing Regent Mrs. Williams died August 25, 1929. Her term of office was finished by Mrs. J. Hess Rowbotham. As well as her activity in the DAR, Mrs. Rowbotham was an early, ardent suffragette. On November 18, 1968, Regent Mrs. Charles Walter, presented Collingswood Mayor David Nichols and other town dignitaries with a plaque honoring the early Newton Colony settlers. The town history had been researched by Past-Regent Mrs. Dorothy Stokes who also directed an original historic play of Newton Colony by the town school children. Always civic minded, the Chapter gave to the Junior High School and Library pictures of George Washington. Flags were given to the schools, Girl Scouts, World War II Honor Roll monument, and other groups. The third Regent of Ye Olde Newton Chapter, Mrs. Edwin Keough, was active with aid to Ellis Island. When Mrs. Keough moved to Florida, she became a charter member of a D.A.R. chapter for the second time on July 29, 1958, which was the Garcilaso de la Vega Chapter, Lake Worth, Florida. The fourth Regent, Mrs. Adam A. Strang, sponsored the Organizing luncheon, November 20, 1937, for Isaac Burroughs Chapter at the Walt Whitman Hotel, whose Organizing Regent was Mrs. Elton Sullivan, a charter member of Ye Olde Newton. Also, a former member of Ye Olde Newton became on October 13, 1954, the Organizing Regent of the Jacob Broom DAR Chapter, which was disbanded on April 13, 1957. The chapter donated a flag to fly over the Collingswood
Service Honor Roll during the World War II years. The
dedication and flag raising was attended by over 3,000
townspeople. The Flag was replaced as needed by the chapter
until the war was over. The chapter also made many "buddy
bags" for the service men, knitted 562 garments, saved 24
pounds of canceled stamps for British War Relief, contributed
to the Blood Plasma Fund, gave time to the U.S.O. in Camden,
saved used silk stockings for the Government, and made more
than 7,000 surgical dressings for local hospitals.
The husband of the 1944-47 Chapter Regent, Mrs. Charles Chase, who died in 1952, presented the Ella B. Chase Memorial Scholarship Fund to the Tamassee School in her honor. Mr. Chase also gave to Collingswood the Collings-Knight House for the use of all the town organizations. Past-Regent Mrs. Charles Walter wrote in 1972 the storybook "The Collings Twins in Colonial Times", which was dedicated to all the Children of Collingswood. In 1977, Past-Regent Mrs. Dorothy Stokes received the NSDAR's Conservation Medal for Outstanding Efforts in Conservation. The 1993 National winner of the Handicap Junior American Citizens, Meredith Sloan, was sponsored by our Chapter. Her essay was about Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon. Also, Ye Olde Newton sponsored the New Jersey 1993 third and fourth grade Junior American Citizens entrants who received one first and two second Chapter members have held various State Chairmanships and have been State Officers: Mrs. Raymond Armstrong, State Corresponding Secretary, 1953-56; Mrs. Charles P. Friedrich, State Registrar, 1959-62; Mrs. Abraham Eisenberg, State Corresponding Secretary, 1962-65; Mrs. Charles A. Walter, State Historian, 1971-74; Mrs. Lawrence E. Alff, State Corresponding Secretary, 1977-80, State Vice-Regent, 1980-83, National Vice Chairman-Eastern Division American Heritage-Conservation, 2001-2004, State Chairman DAR Library 2001-2004, as well as many other State and National Chairmanships; Mrs. Raymond Fuller, State Corresponding Secretary, 1986-89; Mrs. Daniel P. Pomponio, Jr., VIS State Chairman, 2001- 2004, New Jersey State Bulletin Editor, 2004 - 2007; Mrs. Paul J. Siler, National Vice Chairman from New Jersey Women's Issues-Health Issues, 2001-2004, State Co-Chairman DAR School, 2001-2004, State Chairman Hospitality, 2001-2004, State Organizing Secretary, 2004 - 2007; Mrs. Gene Schaut, State Chairman DAR Service for Veteran 2001-2004; Miss Mary T. Bannan, National Vice Chairman, Public Relations, 1988-2001, State Corresponding Secretary, 1990-91, State Chaplain, 1992-95, State Vice Regent, 1998-2001, State Regent, 2001- 2004, Honorary State Regent, 2004 - 2007, as well as other State Chairmanships.
*This history is reproduced from a chapter history that was written in 1994 and portions revised in 2005.
Organizing Regent: Mrs. Aaron O. Dayton
One of the early New Jersey Chapters was Nassau located in Camden. The name was chosen because of Fort Nassau at
Gloucester Point, which was built by Captain Cornelius
Jacobsen Mey. In 1614, Captain Mey sailed from New York
Bay into the Delaware River and nine years later set up a fort
with twenty-four Dutchmen on the east bank of the river on
behalf of the West India Company. It was located near what
is now Gloucester City close to the mouth of Big Timber Creek and was the first white settlement in West Jersey.
Captain Mey called this Fort Nassau after a town in the
Rhinish Provinces. However, when another Dutch ship under
1631, the fort and colony had completely disappeared. He
erected a new fort, which he named after the first one.
In 1920, the State of New Jersey erected a monument with a model of the Dutch ship, Wolvis, bolted to the shaft to honor this first settlement in West Jersey by Captain Mey. In the year 1681, an early settler named William Cooper came to what is now the city of Camden and built a home on land that he called "Pyne Point". Shortly before the Revolutionary War, a man by the name of Jacob Cooper laid out a town plot on forty acres of land. He called the tract
the powerful English champion of constitutional liberty. In 1688, a
license was granted to William Royden to run a ferry across to Philadelphia and the town for nearly a century was known as Cooper's Ferry. During the Revolution, a few skirmishes took place in the county as Cooper's Ferry and Haddonfield were two important outposts of Philadelphia. In 1777, the trustees of Princeton College were driven Southward by the Hessians to Camden where degrees were awarded to the "Class of 76" on the banks of the Delaware River. Camden today is a flourishing industrial city, home of many fine manufacturing concerns which have become internationally famous. Nassau Chapter members look with pride on the city of Camden and the old Fort Nassau built so many years ago on the banks of the Delaware River. Nassau Chapter is honored to have been a part of the New Jersey State Society D.A.R. history having supplied a piece of wood to make the gavel, which is used by the State Society today. The wood is said to have come from a tree that stood near the stockade of Old Fort Nassau. Our Chapter is fortunate to have our own block and gavel made from wood from the "Frigate Augusta". In 1942, through a bequest from the estate of a D.A.R.
friend, the chapter was privileged to send $10,000 to
Tamassee School. The chapter's service projects have been
War Bond sales, Seeing Eye projects, and Red Cross services
including Blood Bank. The members made buddy bags,
cretonne bed bags, and knitted afghans for Fort Dix during
World War II. The Chapter collected fifty pounds of stamps
for the British War Relief. In 1947, the chapter received a
Certificate of Recognition of Meritorious Service for U.S.O.
We have distributed citizenship manuals in English, Italian, Yiddish, German, Russian, and Polish in the Camden area. Nassau sponsored J.A.C.'s American History Contests and sponsored up to twelve Good Citizen girls. We also sponsored the Lenni Lenape Society, C.A.R. We have worked for many Camden County Historical Society projects and we are a Life Member of the Society. We have had numerous tree planting projects with markers throughout the City of Camden as well as other conservation programs. Through our Junior Group, we have sent Pages to Continental Congress and State Conferences. Our Chapter donations to Watson House have been a silver spoon, iron kettle, and an early 19th Century Pulpit Bible. A prize winning original play written by a chapter member, Miriam Coder Podgorski, entitled "Rachel's Colonial Belles", using each chapter member's ancestor in 1777, won first place in the USA Bicentennial Committee Program Contest on April 19, 1971. Five chapter members played the part of their own ancestor at that time. Nassau members have made Braille American Flags for the State Flag Chairman, who was a member of our chapter. Our Chapter has had two State Officers. In October 1954, a member was appointed to fill the unexpired term of State Chaplain until March 1955, at which time she was elected to remain for the next term. We also had a member serve as State Recording Secretary, 1936-37.
*This history is reproduced from a chapter history that was written in 1974.
Vine Irwin Society, C.A.R.
Organizing President: Mrs. E.C.E. Hillman
Mrs. Daniel (Harriet M.) Lathrop, of Old Concord Chapter in Massachusetts, founded the C.A.R. nationally in 1895. The first C.A.R. Society in New Jersey was the "Elias Boudinot Caldwell" Society, of Elias Boudinot Chapter of Elizabeth, which was formed May 28, 1896. These early societies reported directly to Washington, D.C. Mrs. James A. Edgar, during State Regent Mrs. C. Edward Murray, of Trenton, regency, formed the New Jersey State C.A.R. on November 14, 1929. "Vine Irwin" was listed as state #22 and was started on
November 14, 1931, and originally named "Vine Irwin" on January 14, 1932, and organized on February 5, 1932. Vine Irwin, Vine being a nickname for John, was a fourteen year old from South Jersey who served as a messenger boy during the American Revolution.
Regent Rowbotham reports in the 1930-31 Annual Proceedings book that the Ye Olde Newton Chapter had organized the "D.A.R.-lings". Mrs. Elizabeth Cooper Wood Hillman was the Organizing President of the Ye Old Newton Chapter C.A.R. Society, "Vine Irwin". Mrs. Hillman had been born in Camden and was accepted into NSDAR in October of 1914. She transferred from the Chicago Chapter, Chicago, Illinois on October 21, 1933, into Ye Olde Newton Chapter, but Mrs. Hillman had been active in the chapter prior to that date. Mrs. Elizabeth C.W. Hillman died April 4, 1950. From the chapter minutes, April 17, 1936, Mrs. Hillman, Organizing President of Vine Irwin, presented a new flag to the Society on May 8, 1936, at an all day meeting at the Richey Avenue home of Mrs. Wilson. Mrs. Stannard. The C.A.R. President, accepted the flag from Organizing President Mrs. E.C.W. Hillman. The Retrospect, a Collingswood town newspaper, dated February 26, 1937, said that on Saturday, March 6, 1937, James Stannard was to be the C.A.R. flag bearer at the Annual D.A.R. Conference in Trenton. Chapter minutes on May 13, 1938 stated that Regent Strang bought flags for Vine Irwin C.A.R. members, of which group Mrs. Rhodes was Senior President and Miss Rhodes was the Junior President. Other members of the Society were Miss Alice Summerill, Violet Williamson, Owen Eisenberg, and Jane Riggins (the future Mrs. Jane Bradway), of Nassau Chapter. The first female President of the New Jersey State C.A.R. was Jane Eileen Riggins elected at the 1941 D.A.R. Annual Convention. On April 14, 1942, Vine Irwin was disbanded. The name was reissued on April 23, 1948, through the efforts of Mrs. Bradway, who had sent by April 9, 1948, eight papers to Washington, D.C. and Vine Irwin was re-organized on February 2, 1949. Mrs. Ralph Bradway was the 1947 New Jersey State Senior President of the C.A.R. Pat Bradway, her daughter, was the 1961 New Jersey State Junior President of the C.A.R. Miss Anne L. Roberts was the Junior President of Vine Irwin Society. Attending the Annual New Jersey State Convention in April 1965 were Vine Irwin C.A.R. Society members Anne Roberts, Allen Roberts, Merry McIntire, and Nancy Walter. In April 1969, members of Vine Irwin Society planted one hundred spring bulbs along Newton Creek. In May 1971, the members of Ye Olde Newton Chapter and C.A.R. worked to restore the Old Newton Cemetery. In June 1972, the members of Vine Irwin rescued fish stranded on the banks of the Cooper River after Hurricane Agnes. In 1972, Suzanne Bohn was Junior President of Vine Irwin and had been elected to be the State C.A.R. Recording Secretary. Her brother, Edward Bohn, was elected to be 1974 New Jersey State C.A.R. Librarian. In 1974, Society member Suzanne Bohn was New Jersey State Junior C.A.R. President.